Spicy Peanut Soup
Sweet potatoes and peanut butter form the base for this creamy soup that gets a kick from green onions and ground red pepper. It's special enough to serve to guests, but easy enough to make on a weeknight.
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 30 minutes
Total Time 45 minutes
Servings 8 people
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 large onion diced (about 2 cups)
- 2 large carrot diced (about 1 cup)
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger root
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 6 cups Swanson® Chicken Broth or Swanson® Certified Organic Chicken Broth or Swanson® Natural Goodness® Chicken Broth
- 2 large sweet potato peeled and diced (about 3 cups)
- 1 cup creamy creamy peanut butter
- 1/3 cup sliced green onionor chives
- 1/3 cup chopped dry roasted salted peanuts
- Heat the oil in a 4-quart saucepot over medium heat. Add the onions, carrots and ginger and cook until they’re tender-crisp. Add the red pepper and cook for 1 minute.
- Stir the broth and sweet potatoes in the saucepot. Heat to a boil. Reduce the heat to low. Cover and cook for 20 minutes or until the vegetables are tender. Stir in the peanut butter.
- Place 1/3 of the broth mixture in a blender or food processor. Cover and blend until smooth. Pour into a large bowl. Repeat the blending process twice more with the remaining broth mixture. Return all of the puréed mixture to the saucepot. Cook over medium heat until the mixture is hot. Season to taste. Divide the soup among 8 serving bowls. Top each serving of soup with the green onions and peanuts.