If you’re as crazy about classic dessert combinations as I am, then you will love this low carb chocolate cake with strawberries and whipped cream.
- 2 cups almond flour (Honeyville)
- 1/2 cup coconut flour (Bob’s Red Mill)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup Sukrin :1 (or Swerve Granulated)
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder, sift before measuring
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup coconut milk (full fat)
- 4 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon stevia glycerite
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
STABILIZED WHIPPED CREAM
- 10 ounces heavy whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons Sukrin Icing Sugar (or Swerve Confectioners)
- 1/8 teaspoon xanthan gum
- ***for dairy free whip the chilled coconut cream from 2 cans (13.5 ounces) of full fat coconut milk
- 10 ounces strawberries, sliced thickly
- Preparation: Preheat the oven to 350 and position the rack to the lower third of the oven. Spray an 8 x 8 round pan with baking spray. Cut a piece of parchment to fit into the bottom of the pan.
- Method: Measure the dry ingredients for the cake into a medium bowl and whisk to break up any lumps. Add the coconut milk, eggs, vanilla, stevia glycerite and vinegar. Mix thoroughly with a hand mixer and then immediately spread the mixture gently into the prepared baking dish. It will be thick like brownie batter.
- Baking Instructions: Put the chocolate cake into the oven and turn the heat to 400 degrees for 5 minutes. This gets the batter rising. Then turn it back down to 350 for 20-30 minutes depending on your oven. When done, the top will spring back when lightly pressed with a finger, but will sound just a little bit moist. Remove from the oven and cover with a clean tea towel until completely cool. This ensures that the chocolate cake will be really moist.
- Whipped Cream: When ready to assemble the cake, whip the cream with the powdered sweetener until soft peaks form and then add a pinch of salt, 1/8 a teaspoon of xanthan gum. Whip until firm and stable. The whipped cream should hold the tracks the beater left in the bowl and be real thick. It will hold on to a spoon when flipped upside down. Refrigerate.
- Strawberries: Wash the strawberries, hull, and slice thickly.
- Assembly: Run a sharp thin knife around the sides of the cake pan and flip the cake out of the pan. Flip the cake right side up and slice in half, horizontally. Add 3/4 of the whipped cream to the middle of the cake and spread to the edges with a spoon , add 1/2 – 3/4 of the strawberries to the middle of the cake and add the remaining whipped cream to the top of the cake and top with the remaining strawberries. Cut and serve.