"This recipe is Eastern European in origin; being from Bosnia, my mom made this for me growing up and my whole family always looked forward to it! Serve with Balkan style yogurt for authenticity."
Prep Time 35 minutes
Cook Time 25 minutes
Total Time 1 hour
Servings 4 servings
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 tablespoon ground allspice
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 potato finely chopped
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 16 ounce package phyllo dough
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- Preheat an oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- Brown ground beef in a large non-stick skillet over medium heat, 5 to 7 minutes. Drain fat; stir in allspice, paprika, salt, and pepper. Transfer beef to a large bowl and stir in potato and onion.
- Unroll phyllo pastry and transfer 2 sheets to a work surface; stack sheets. Spoon 1/8th of the ground beef mixture down one long edge of the phyllo pastry. Roll phyllo into a tube, encasing beef. Shape the tube into a coil (snail shape). Place the roll on an ungreased baking sheet; brush with melted butter. Repeat, placing finished rolls up against one another to keep them from unrolling.
- Bake burek in the preheated oven until golden brown, 20 to 30 minutes.