Black Bean, Chicken & Egg Enchiladas
Here is a twist on popular Mexican enchiladas made with chicken, black beans, scrambled eggs and cheese. They are a hearty breakfast but great for other meals too.
Prep Time 45 minutes
Cook Time 1 hour
Total Time 3 hours 30 minutes
Servings 4 people
- 1 1/2 cups low sodium tomate sauce
- 1/2 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup red onions diced
- 2 tsp chil power
- 1 tsp oregano dried
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 cup cannen black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 jalapeno pepper minsed
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 4 eggs medium
- 1/2 cup green onions sliced
- 4 whole grain tortillas 10 inch (25 cm)
- 1 cup roasted chicken shredded (leftover or deli roasted)
- 1 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese part skim, 16.5% MF
- 1/4 cup cilantro fresh, minced
- Measure tomato sauce, chicken broth, diced red onion, chili powder, oregano black pepper and honey into a sauce pan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Turn off and set aside.
- Combine drained black beans, minced jalapeno and ½ cup (125 mL) of the tomato sauce in a bowl. If you are using canned black beans run them under cold water to remove some of the surface starch and salt. Set aside.
- Heat olive oil over medium high heat in a skillet. Beat eggs in bowl and add to hot pan. Sprinkle sliced green onions over eggs. Scramble eggs by stirring, until just set but still moist.
- Work on a dinner plate and stuff tortillas one at a time. Dip a tortilla in the sauce and lay flat on plate. Place one-quarter of the bean mixture in centre of tortilla. Top with one-quarter of the egg mixture, followed by ¼ cup (60 ml) shredded cooked chicken and 2 Tbsp (30 ml) grated cheese. Flatten out the filling. Fold in sides and roll tortilla to cover filling starting in front of you and rolling away. Put the filled tortilla seam side down in a lightly oiled 13 x 9 inch (3 L) glass baking dish. Make the other three enchiladas adding to the pan as they are completed. Spoon the remaining sauce over top.
- Sprinkle enchiladas with the remaining grated cheese followed by the minced cilantro. Bake in 375°F (190°C) oven until the cheese is melted and lightly browned - about 30 minutes.